Sunday, January 22, 2012

We are all Mad around here!

Quayde is Sixteen!
On Friday evening Quayde invited some friends to celebrate his birthday with a Mad Hatter tea party. The invitations were shaped as a top hat and had metal keys, pocket watches, and cards to entice the guest to come and have a great deal of crazy fun.


We set up the downstairs as the Red Queen's realm and that is where the games and activities would take place. Quayde's bedroom was completely clean out and we set up the black lights and made the mad tea party up there where everything would glow. First though... we had to made sure that the guest could find their way to our house. I made giant card men and we set them all down the driveway.
I did add eyes and they were tied to trees. I forgot to get a picture of them stoically standing guard in the woods. All the preparations were so much fun, we really wanted to incorporate lots of Wonderland symbols and themes.

When the guest all arrived, we got started by painting our own tea cup mugs. It was really interesting to see all the different designs and how creative they all were.
Then it was time for games! These included ' Pass the Hedgehog' and 'Toss the Jaberwockey'. The kids had to pass a stuffed hedgehog neck to neck without using their hands. Michael found some playing cards that had dragons on them that looked just like one of the illustrations of the Jaberwockey. So for that game they had to try and toss the cards into the Red Queen's hat. We had a lot of laughter and some friendly competition.
After all the games, it was time to head to the mad tea party. We had to journey past giant tissue paper flowers that were half red and white, big mushrooms and little bits of decor here and there in the halls ways. The classic part was Thayne ran up after everyone else yelling "I'm late, I'm late for a very important date" He did that all on his own.
 Dormouse in the pot.
 Getting our glow on!
Then on to the food and even more fun....

Everything looked super cool in the blacklight. It does not photograph well though so we did use the flash for most of the rest of the birthday pictures.



Quayde, you are growing up to be the most amazing young man. I am so happy that you are my son. You make me proud of you every day and my heart is so full when I think that you choose me to be your mom.
I love you! 
Happy Birthday Quayde

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Sounds like your party was amazing Quayde! Your mom rocks! :) Have a wonderful year.

Nana said...

Tracie, you at truly the greatest !!!! I bet Quayde loved being the "Mad Hatter" and it's hard to believe Quayde is so grown up... loved the games and all the decorations....I was beeginning to think I'd have to do a little whinning to get some pic on your blog...lol missed Christmas and New Years,,, Love ya ALL Nana

Ninny said...

A.MAZ.ING! I bet you had a blast putting all that together.

adashofhumor.blogspot.com said...

happy late bday quayde! i miss you man!

that party looks freaking amazing!! im glad you all had so much fun! :)

<3Sam

The two old crows said...

That is just amazing!!!! I love it.