Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Welcome Spring!

It was all about Spring today at our house! Thayne and I snuggled close as I read him a story about a little girl and her momma wishing for Spring. It's called "How Mama Brought the Spring" by Fran Manushkin.
Only problem is that there is a recipe at the back of the book and you know what that means! This mama and little boy had a job to do. The recipe was for blintzes, something I have never made. I can now cross it off my list. Thayne was so thrilled although I really hope he only wants it once a year.
First I made the berry sauce with frozen berries and some organic sugar.
Then I whipped together some cream cheese, powered sugar, almond extract and rice milk for the filling. Next was whipping up the delicate crepe like substance. First you must cook them in the pan.

Then when they are all cooked and laid out. You must fill them with the delicious stuff.
Then you roll them up and have to fry them in the pan again!

I'm beginning to believe why mama brought Spring...'cause it takes a flippin long time to cook these things. It is quite the operation. Thayne was so very ,very thrilled though.
They were so yummy!
The batter is super basic.. 4 eggs  1 1/2 cups milk, 1 cup of flour, a little sugar. Whip it, Whip it good.
If you are crazy or want to be "best mom" of the evening make sure you have set aside a good portion of time. Happy Spring!

3 comments:

Nana said...

They looked so yummy... will you make them for me when we come out.. Please please mommy? just kidding.... I love your scones better My grand children are very lucky to have such an awesome mom !!!! Love ya ALL Nana

The two old crows said...

Oh they look so good. Well worth the effort they took.

Tammy said...

Mmmm...they look delish!